Sorry I am resending this discussion with Ekalavya Prabhu as it is an important one
and some of the text got cut in the email
In Gaura Lila ,Narada Muni appears as Srivas Thakura (and is married) and in Vraja lila he is "Naradiya gopi"
in his Gita mala ,Srila Bhaktivinoda describes the death of one of the sons of Srivasa Thakura:
Song Name: Pradosa Samaye Srivasa Agane
Official Name: Soka Satana Song 1
Author: Bhaktivinoda Thakura
Book Name: Gitamala
śrī-hari-kīrtane nāce nānā-rańge
mṛdańga mādala bāje karatāla
mājhe mājhe jayatura
prabhura naṭana dekhi' sakalera
hoilo santāpa dūra
akhaṇda premete mātala takhana
āpana pāsari' gorācande gheri'
nāce gāya anukhaṇa
emona samaye daiba-byādhi-joge
tanaya-bijoge nārī-gaṇa śoke
krandana uṭhile habe rasa-bhańga
śrībāsa amani bujhilo kāraṇa
paśilo āpana ghare
1) In the evening twilight, within the privacy of Srivasa Pandita's courtyard, the cream-lustered jewel, Lord Gauramani, raised a most auspicious vibration by His chanting of Hari-kirtana, which He personally accompanied by dancing in various playful moods.
2) Accompanied by the paying of the mrdanga drum and karatalas, and amidst occasional victorious shouts of "Jaya! Jaya!” the dramatic dance of the Lord dispelled the grief of all those who witnessed it.
3) Then, becoming madly intoxicated in supreme ecstatic love, all the assembled devotees completely forgot themselves and incessantly began to dance and chant wildly, surrounding Lord Gauracandra.
4) At this time, within the inner chamber of Srivasa's house, one of his sons suddenly died due to some disease, as ordained by the will of Providence. Due to separation from the boy, all the women of the household began to lament and cry out in a loud voice.
5) Now Bhaktivinoda fears that the transcendental mellows of the Lord's kirtana will be disturbed by the uprising of such loud crying sounds. However,Srivasa Pandita has now understood the cause of this sound, and has personally entered the house.
you please go to http://kksongs.org/authors/gitamala.html
and read Soka Satana
“In the Gaura-ganodesa dipika (90), Srivasa Pandita is described as an incarnation of Narada Muni, and Sri Rama Pandita, his younger brother, is said to be an incarnation of Parvata Muni, a great friend of Narada’s” (C.C.Adi 10.8)
This is of course different from the reference of Ekalavya Prabhu is asking about yes in Gaura Lila, Narada Muni was married though
fully free from material desires ,so if both such pastimes act under the spell of Yogamaya it is possible, but the pastime of Ramacarita Manasa should not be quoted.
Ekalavya Das August 15 at 11:16pm
Dear Payonidhi Pr,
This morning in SB class one devotee narrated a story from "some purana" describing Narada Muni wanting to see Krishna's Maya and being sent by Krishna for a glass of water.
Meeting a beautiful young girl, Narada marries her and has kids.
Later Krishna asks, "Where's the water?"
You ever heard this?
I'm quite disturbed.
I chastised the devotee for speaking this kind of thing. He could not quote reference except for hearing in Mayapur SB class and it being from "some purana".
Can you help me out with this?
Can you give a reference? Or is it total nonsense?
I'm feeling angry.
Payonidhi Das Das August 16 at 5:43am
My dear Ekalavya Prabhu
I have never read all puranas and never seen it in any Purana I have read, which is only a few and then mostly in parts.
I do know it is mentioned in Tulsi das .Ramacarita Manasa that I once read, that after Lord Siva fell for the charm of Mohini Murti
(as also described in Srimad Bhagavatam 8 canto chapter chapter
12 ) Narada Muni boasted to Lord Visnu he would not fall to the charm of Mohini Murti, as he was beyond maya.And then according to Tulsi das Lord Visnu created an illusion, where Narada gets attracted to a beautiful lady created by Yogamaya, and there is many details I will spare you.
Wether this really happened or not I can not say,as you I was very disturbed and angry almost in tears of hearing something like that.
I am very much opposed to any ISKCON devotees preaching from
Ramacarita Manasa, because Srila Prabhupada also was.However this book in India is very very popular almost like the Bible for "Hindus", Tulsi das also recommends a grhastha(grhamedhi in my eyes) can beat his wife:
Dola gavAMra sudra pasu nArI/
sakala tAranA ke adhikAr
"A dullard, outcaste, woman, drum and dumb beast
Must be beaten, or else they'll not serve one the least."
The New Testament is even better than Ramacarita Manasa because there is no mayavadi philosophy in the New Testament.And Jesus never condoned beating women and Sudra's.Imagine having
readings from Ramacarita Manasa that is so wrong on so many levels in ISKCON.This Ramacarita Manasa was banned by Srila Prabhupada.
"Don't divert your attention in that way. The author of Rama charita manasa,
Goswami Tulasi das, has a tint of Mayavadi philosophy. He belongs to the
They are mixed up combination of personalist and impersonalist. Therefore,
the author is not considered as pure Vaisnava."
Narayana Maharaja forexample
believes it is bonafide ,I strongly disagree as I follow Srila Prabhupada and I know he is very right on this Tulsi das, Ramacarita manasa also is full of mayavadi ideas , because after almost each chapter it says if you worship Lord Ramachandra you become one with Him or become Him.As you and I know Lord Caitanya was very very strict with any litterature with mayavadi ideas and once rejected Mukunda, for hearing a Ramayana mixed with mayavadi ideas and even making it worse from a mayavadi.
I enclosing the vers and purport:
Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila 17.65
mukunda-dattere kaila danda-parasada
khandila tahara cittera saba avasada
mukunda-dattere--unto Mukunda Datta; kaila--did; danda--punishment; parasada--benediction; khandila--vanquished; tahara--his; cittera--of the mind; saba--all kinds of; avasada--depressions.
Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu blessed Mukunda Datta with punishment and in that way vanquished all his mental depression.
Mukunda Datta was once forbidden to enter the association of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu because of his mixing with the Mayavadi impersonalists. When Lord Caitanya manifested His maha-prakasa, He called all the devotees one after another and blessed them, while Mukunda Datta stood outside the door. The devotees informed the Lord that Mukunda Datta was waiting outside, but the Lord replied, "I shall not soon be pleased with Mukunda Datta, for he explains devotional service among devotees, but then he goes to Mayavadis to hear from them the Yoga-vasistha-ramayana, which is full of Mayavada philosophy. For this I am greatly displeased with him." Hearing the Lord speak in that way, Mukunda Datta, standing outside, was exceedingly glad that the Lord would at some time be pleased with him, although He was not pleased at that moment. But when the Lord understood that Mukunda Datta was going to give up the association of the Mayavadis for good, He was pleased, and He at once called to see Mukunda. Thus He delivered him from the association of the Mayavadis and gave him the association of pure devotees.
As you might recall Lord Caitanya was not ready to forgive Mukunda
datta in a million births for hearing mayavadi philosophy it is mentioned in great details in Caitanya Bhagavad.So this Yoga-vasistha-ramayana is very much like Ramacarita Manasa, with mayavadi ideas.How intimate to Lord Caitanya was Mukunda Datta see CC Adi lila 10.40.Only when Mukunda Datta promised Lord Caitanya he would never hear books mixed with mayavadi philosophy again did Lord Caitanya allow Mukunda Datta into His a
assocaition again.I have elaborated on all this as this book Ramacarita Manasa only causes distress in the heart of those who
are fully pure devotees or on the path of pure Bhakti. Ekalavya Prabhu I am holding your lotusfeet and asking your to kindly give up all distress and anger, caused by these offensive things being said about Narada Muni.We are better of to hear from Narada Bhakti sutra and glorification of Narada Muni from Srimad Bhagavatam.
"May Sanat-kumāra protect me from lusty desires. As I begin some auspicious activity, may Lord Hayagrīva protect me from being an offender by neglecting to offer respectful obeisances to the Supreme Lord. May Devarṣi Nārada protect me from committing offenses in worshiping the Deity, and may Lord Kūrma, the tortoise, protect me from falling to the unlimited hellish planets"
dear Ekalavya Prabhu kindly glorifie Narada Muni with the nice bhajan of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura :(1)
nārada muni, bājāy vīṇā
nāma amani, udita haya,
amiya-dhārā, bariṣe ghana,
bhakata jana, saghane nāce,
bhoriyā āpana hiyā
mādhurī-pūra, āsava paśi',
keho vā kānde, keho vā nāce,
keho māte mane mane
pañca-vadana, nārade dhori',
premera saghana rol
kamalāsana, nāciyā bole,
'bolo bolo hari bolo'
'hari hari' boli' gāya
nāma-prabhāve, mātilo viśva,
nāma-rasa sabe pāya
śrī-kṛṣṇa-nāma, rasane sphuri',
pūrā'lo āmār āśa
śrī-rūpa-pade, yācaye ihā,
1) When the great soul Narada Muni plays his vina, the holy name, Radhika-raman, descends and immediately appears amidst the kirtan of the Lord’s devotees.
2) Like a monsoon cloud, the holy name showers nectar in their ears. All the devotees, due to great ecstasy, repeatedly dance to their hearts content.
3) All the people of the universe become maddened upon entering this intoxicating shower of nectar. Some people cry, some dance and others become fully intoxicated within their minds.
4) Lord Siva, embracing Narada Muni, repeatedly makes loud screams of ecstatic joy, and Lord Brahma, dancing very ecstatically, says, “All of you kindly chant, Haribol! Haribol!”
5) In great happiness the thousand-faced Ananta Sesa chants “Hari! Hari!” By the influence of the transcendental vibration of the holy name, the whole universe becomes ecstatically maddened and everyone tastes the mellows of the holy name.
6) Thakura Bhaktivinoda, the humble servant of the Lord, says, “The holy name of Krishna has fulfilled all my desires by vibrating on everyone’s tongue.” Bhaktivinoda therefore prays at the feet of Sri Rupa Goswami that the chanting of harinam may continue like this always.
And I pray to Lord Gauranga and the lotusfeet of Narada Muni
you will feel no anger.
PS Ramacarita Manasa is banned by the GBC officially in 1996,I hope this will help you not be disturbed and to save other devotees from the same disturbance I will share this conversations with some devotees in hope this will help prevent further confusion from oters refering to Ramacarita Manasa, which in itself is a prove that this book should be strictly avoided.
Payonidhi Das Das August 16 at 5:48am
When I say referring to Ramacarita Manasa, I mean in Srimad Bhagavatam class
Payonidhi Das Das August 16 at 5:49am
and by that i mean such things from Ramacarita Manasa should never be mentioned it is against pure bhakti and only disturbs the mind
Payonidhi Das Das August 16 at 5:50am
let me know if I can be of any further help in this matter
Ekalavya Das August 16 at 6:06am
Thank you. You have pacified my mind.
Ekalavya Das August 16 at 6:20am
I wrote the temple president and presented some of your points, and appealed to him to consider some action to protect our devotees.
Thanks very, very much.
Payonidhi Das Das August 16 at 6:38am
I am glad I could help, I suggest your email my response
in total as it holds many points about this matter