seeing through the eyes of scriptures
Please accept my humble obaisences
Lord Caitanya ordered Srila Sanatana Goswami to write the Haribhakti Vilasa to cover the subjects of Bhakti ,but a big hole is felt by the vaisnavas community around the world
all glories to Srila Prabhupada
working on the forword on my next book : Forword :
I first offer my dandavat pranams to my diksa Guru Om Visnupada Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja
I then offer my humble dandavat pranams to my eternal Siksa Guru and founder acarya of ISKCON Om Visnupada Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Srila Prabhupada
I offer my humble pranams to the Guru Parampara of our Gaudiya Madhava line as well as the Guru Parampara of the three other vaisnava sampradayas
Sri Sampradaya, Kumara Sampradaya and Rudra Sampradaya. We are followers of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu in the line of Srila Madhavacarya and our sampradaya is that of what was given from Lord Krsna to Brahma and from Brahma to Narada and so on , down to present day where Srila AC Bhaktivedanta Prabhupada preached around the world.in terms of understanding the Visnu tattva apperance days .Srila Sanatana Goswami did not touch Radhastami for example ,so how are we to understand the apperance day of Sri Radha for example.What is the proper guideline for fasting according to what Srila Sanatana Goswami had proved in Haribhakti Vilasa to other apperance day such as Janmastami, Ramanavami , Narasimha Caturdasi etc. Srila Sanatana Goswami did not describe Gaura Purnima, Advaita Acaryas apperanceday, Lord Nityananda Prabhus apperance day so what our acaryas has described and done and what has our beloved Srila Prabhupada written and guided on each of these festival days. All conditioned souls has four basic defects, so I am not claiming to be a perfect fully selfrealized soul, but these are a compilation of sastras .Because what we have to do in life is be guided by sastra praman.
There is different standards so this book will explain the absolute standard , the best standard and compromised standards then each individual will deciede how far can I take my spiritual life. Srila Prabhuapada for example tried to introduce chanting of 64 rounds into ISKCON ,but his early disciples simply was not willing too so Srila Prabhupada made a minimum standard of 16 rounds . Later when devotees told Srila Prabhupada they where chanting more Srila Prabhupada encouraged it .As long as devotees could maintain it even 64 rounds Srila Prabhupada of course blessed as well and he told one leader that if someone is chanting more why are you discouraging it?
Similarly we want to understand what is the proper standard .Some temples and individuals have compromised and started to take grain and serving grains on apperance days of Visnu tattva this is detrimental to devotional service.In Haribhakti Vilasa Srila Sanatana Goswami advised that even Ekadasis are best observed all as Nirjala fasts, but in our ISKCON society we are busy preaching so how we can do that ? But some can do and are doing .So we congratulate and encourage it . However the Nirjala fasting on Radhastami and Janmastami are 100.000 more potent according to Padma Purana so first one should learn to honor these days .So in this way this book is meant to serve the vaisnavas and encourage a better understanding that will lead us back home to Godhead. These Visnu tattva days have special potency and just like ekadasi are also often called Madhava tithi , refering to the time period on which these days fall one gets an extra opportunity to get purified and go back home to Godhead.This books will show what Srila Prabhupada said and wrote about different Visnu tattva apperancedays and also explain the standard given by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada that was a strict standard adhering to Haribhakti Vilasa .Serving grains on any of the major Visnu tattva days is a great offence as stated in various Puranas however a full fast or partial fast taken only a little anukalpa prasadam ,because Srila Prabhupada allowed for example to do so on for example on Radhastami after half day fasting ,but Padma Purana clearly has recommended a full fast as was also observed by Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Prabhupada
I offer my humble obaisences to all vaisnava readers of this book the Vaisnava calendar :
Official Name: Vaisnava Vandana
Author: Devakinandana Dasa Thakura
Book Name: None
vṛndāvana-vāsī jata vaiṣṇavera gaṇa
prathame vandanā kari sabāra caraṇa
nīlācala-vāsī jata mahāprabhura gaṇa
bhūmite poḍiyā vandoń sabāra caraṇa
navadvīpa-vāsī jata mahāprabhura bhakta
sabāra caraṇa vandoń haiyā anurakta
mahāprabhura bhakta jata gauḍa-deśe sthiti
sabāra caraṇa vandoń kariyā praṇati
je-deśe je-deśe baise gaurāńgera gaṇa
ūrdhva-bāhu kari vandoń sabāra caraṇa
haiyāchena haibena prabhura jata dāsa
sabāra caraṇa vandoń dante kari’ ghāsa
brahmāṇḍa tārite śakti dhare jane jane
e veda purāṇe guṇa gāya jevā śune
mahāprabhura gaṇa saba patita-pāvana
tāi lobhe mui pāpī lainu śaraṇa
vandanā karite mui kata śakti dhari
tamo-buddhi-doṣe mui dambha mātra kari
tathāpi mūkera bhāgya manera ullāsa
doṣa kṣami’ mo-adhame kara nija-dāsa
sarva-vāñchā siddhi haya yama-bandha chuṭe
jagate durlabha haiyā prema-dhana luṭe
manera vāsanā pūrṇa acirāte haya
devakīnandana dāsa ei lobhe kaya
1) First of all I offer glorifications to the feet of all of the Vaisnavas of Vrndavana.
2) Praising of all of Mahaprabhu’s Nilacala associates, I prostrate at their feet.
3) I pray for loving attachment to the lotus feet of all of Mahaprabhu’s Navadvipa bhaktas.
4) I offer pranamas at the feet of all of Mahaprabhu’s Gaudadesa (Bengal) devotees.
5) With upraised arms I pray to the feet of all of Gauranga’s bhaktas, in whichever country they may reside.
6) Holding a straw between my teeth, I submit at the feet of all the servants of Mahaprabhu that were or will be.
7) I have heard their glorification in the Vedas and Puranas, which proclaim that each one of His devotees has the sakti to deliver an entire universe.
8) (Hearing of their glory) I have come with great eagerness to surrender to Mahaprabhu’s bhaktas, who are all patita-pavana for sinners like me.
9) What power do I have to glorify them? But out of my ignorance and un-mitigating pride I do so anyway, thinking myself so qualified.
10) Even though I am dumb and unable to express their greatness, still my heart is joyful due to my great good fortune (that the Vaisnavas have accepted me as their own and Sri Gurudeva has given me harinama full of blissful pastimes). Forgive the faults of this fallen soul and make me your servant.
11) They award the perfection of all desires, including freedom from death, and even that rarest treasure not found in this world – prema!
12) All of one’s pure, heartfelt desires will be fulfilled without delay. Devaki-nandana dasa, intensely eager for this, glorifies and prays to the Vaisnavas.
December 23, 2017 your servant