seeing through the eyes of scriptures
Shri Radha-Mohana dasa
sakala vaishnava gosai daya kara more
dante trina dhari’ kahe e dina pamare (1)
With a straw between my teeth, this very wretched and fallen person is petitioning all
the Vaishnavas and Gosvamis, “Please give me your mercy.”
shri guru-carana ara shri krishna-chaitanya
pada-padma paoyaiya more kara dhanya (2)
Shri Guru, the Vaishnavas, and Shri Krishna-Chaitanya (and Nityananda Prabhu) should give
me shelter at their lotus feet and make me fortunate.
toma’ sabara karuna vine iha prapti naya
visheshe ayogya mui kahila nishcaya (3)
Without receiving the mercy from all of the Vaishnavas, I will be bereft of shelter at the
lotus feet of Gaura-Nitai. I know that I am totally unqualified.
vancha-kalpa-taru hao karuna-sagara
ei ta’ barasa mui dhariye antara (4)
All the Vaishnavas are vancha kalpa-taru (wish-fulfilling trees) and an ocean of mercy.
It is my deepest hope that the Vaishnavas will give me their mercy so that I can thus
attain the lotus feet of Mahaprabhu.
guna-lesha nahi more aparadhera sima
ama’ uddhariya loke dekhao mahima (5)
I have no good qualities and I have committed uncountable offenses, but if you will
deliver me (give me bhakti), then everyone will come to know of your glories.
nama-sankirtane ruci ara prema-dhana
e radha-mohane deha’ haiya sa-karuna (6)
I am praying for taste in nama-sankirtana and for the wealth of prema. Then this
Radha-mohana dasa will realize your supreme mercy.
kṛpā koro vaiṣṇava ṭhākura, sambandha jāniyā
bhajite bhajite, abhimāna hau dūra
'āmi to vaiṣṇava', e buddhi hoile, amānī nā ho'bo āmi
pratiṣthāśā āsi', hṛdoya dūṣibe, hoibo niraya-gāmī
tomāra kińkora, āpane jānibo, 'guru'-abhimāna tyaji'
tomāra ucchiṣṭha, pada-jala-reṇu, sadā niṣkapaṭe bhaji
'nije śreṣṭha' jani, ucchiṣṭthādi dāne, ho'be abhimāna bhāra
tāi śiṣya taba, thākiyā sarvadā, nā loibo pūjā kā'r
amānī mānada, hoile kīrtane, adhikāra dibe tumi
tomāra caraṇe, niṣkapaṭe āmi, kāńdiyā luṭibo bhūmi
1) O Vaisnava Thakura! Please give me your mercy – knowledge of my relationship with Bhagavan and the ability to do bhajana, sending my false ego far away.
2) If I think "I am a Vaisnava," then I will never become humble. My heart will become contaminated with the hope of receiving honor from others, and I will surely go to hell.
3) Give me the mercy that I can renounce the false conception of my being guru and can be your servant. Let me accept without duplicity your remnants and your foot-bath water.
4) By thinking that I am superior (guru) and giving my remnants to others, I will bring about my destruction. Let me always identify as your disciple and not accept any worship or praise from others.
5) In this way I can renounce the desire for honor for myself and can offer respect to others. Weeping sincerely at your lotus feet and rolling on the ground, I pray that you will give me the ability to chant nama purely.
ṭhākura vaiṣṇava pada, avanīra sampada,
śuno bhāi hoiyā eka mana
āśraya loiyā bhaje, tāre kṛṣṇa nāhi tyaje,
āra saba more akāraṇa
vaiṣṇava caraṇa jala, prema bhakti dite bol,
āra keho nahe balavanta
vaiṣṇava caraṇa reṇu, mastake bhūṣaṇa vinu,
āra nāhi bhūṣaṇera anta
tīrtha jala pavitra guṇe, likhiyāche purāṇe,
se saba bhaktira pravañcana
vaiṣṇavera pādodaka, sama nahe ei saba,
yāte hoy vāñchita pūraṇa
vaiṣṇava sańgete mana, ānandita anukṣaṇa,
sadā hoy kṛṣṇa parasańga
dīna narottama kānde, hiyā dhairya nāhi bāndhe
mora daśā keno hoilo bhańga
1) O brother, please hear my words with rapt attention. The lotus feet of the Vaisnavas are the most valuable treasure of this world. These Vaisnavas continually take shelter of Lord Krsna and worship Him. They never abandon their Lord. They are liberated. They are free from the cycle of birth and death.
2) The water that has washed the lotus feet of the Vaisnavas bestows devotional service in pure love of God. Nothing else is as effective for attaining this divine love. I place dust from the lotus feet of the Vaisnavas upon my head. I wear no other ornament.
3) The purifying power of the waters at the various holy places of pilgrimage is described in the Puranas, although this is something of a deceptive trick. Actually there is not anything as purifying as the water that has washed the lotus feet of the Vaisnavas. This water fulfills all desires.
4) Moment after moment my mind finds pleasure in the association of the Vaisnavas. I always seek out the company of those who are devoted to Lord Krsna. Poor-heartedNarottama dasa breaks down and cries. How has this fallen condition come upon me?